Domain Name Selection – How To Decide
Every great website needs an eye opening, memorable domain name. Coming up with a unique name can be a serious challenge with a number of things to think over. Here is our checklist before you decide “this is the one”.
Branding is key to personalizing your website and should focus on purpose intended. With a unique name you are providing customers an easy way of recognising you, your product and your business.
Keep the name as short but meaningful as possible. The fewer characters a domain name has, the easier it is to type, say and share. Remember too that it will be shortened on social media sharing platforms and search results so becomes less meaningful.
Be mindful of trademark infringements. A domain resembling another could work against you where a competitor decides to take protective legal action.
Consider your niche and make it intuitive. Your audience should be able to identify what the website is about and have a good probable idea for your product or content.
If you can use your niche keyword in the domain name, your website is recognized easily and search engines will better rank your website where SEO is concerned.
A domain or end of the web address has an extension or suffix like .com. These can have specific uses so choose an extension that is meaningful to your personal or business website. If your business is primarily in Canada then .ca can be informative and a preference to the user. Here are some of the key extensions available:
- .co : an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .com: for commercial sites but also common for public sites.
- .info : informational sites.
- .net : technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .org : non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .biz : business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
- .family : family blogs, family tree, membership sites
- .ca : brands your company as Canadian and attracts Canadian consumers
- .gov : government websites
- .edu : education websites
Offered With All Domains
Free Domain Name Whois Privacy and Theft Protection
Free Domain Transfer Service
Other than your confirmation for the transfer from your current registrar there is no fee to transfer your domain.